On Saturday, Oct. 26th, we had fantastic workshop on self-editing your manuscript given by our own SSRA VP and Paranormal Romance Author, Dylan Newton. During the workshop, Dylan gave us some great information to help our manuscripts shine. For example, we learned:
- Clues on how to know where you’ll need to make surgical cuts in your manuscript to give you a tighter, better novel.
- When you need to kill your darlings, and how to ‘recycle’ them for future works.
- A walk-through of how to use MS Word editing features to help in your self-editing process.
- How to spot passive voice and (even better) how to correct it.
- Getting out of the telling vs. showing habit.
- and more!
PLUS…at the end of the workshop, we had a fun time testing our new skills and got to see a real-life example of edits on a manuscript before and after edits, courtesy of our brave presenter.
Thanks go to Dylan for yet another fantastic workshop!